Thursday, September 15, 2011

Halloween

With the beginning of fall comes my FAVORITE holiday, Halloween.
I love the spookiness, the costumes, the ancient rituals that are so warped most people don't know where they began, I love the paeganism, I love the candy, I just love it all.
That being said, I am going to put up my Halloween decorations this weekend so I can enjoy them for the next six weeks!
Tonight is the opening of the Spirit Halloween store, right down the road from our house, and we are going to take Rupert. We promised. He's been dying to go since they first put the sign up a few weeks ago. "The ghost store" he calls it.
Little does he know that we already bought his costume, he's going to be a Ghostbuster with an inflatable proton pack. He's gonna freak out when he sees it. We are keeping it on the DL for as long as possible because we don't want him trashing the costume before Halloween even gets here. I can pretty much guarantee that he will LIVE in that thing for the rest of the year though.
Also, to put myself in more of a Halloween mood, I changed my ringtone to the Halloween theme, my notification to a crow cawing, my computer background is jack-o-lanterns and my phone wallpaper is a creepy tree with an orange backdrop. (I take this holiday seriously ya'll!)
Now the difficult aspect for me, ever year, what to be... I find that all of the women's costumes are "sexy" or too corny. I don't want to be a sexy Dorothy, why can't I just be Dorothy? Or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... for real, there's a women's version that's a mini-skirt and basically a tube top... not joking. And I don't think I'm old enough or fat enough to wear some of the other things out there, which basically leaves me at homemade with a few store bought accessories. While this sounds like a swell, inexpensive idea, it never works out like that for me. I WEAR my clothes and I don't have that wide of a variety. I have work clothes and not work clothes. (I don't even have costume dresses)
Now, I'm not boohooing about my clothing variety, I'm just saying I don't have any hidden awesomeness in the back of my closet. So what should I be? Last year I wore pajamas and hair rollers, the year before I wore striped tights and a jack-o-lantern shirt with a skirt and pigtails... I guess it's been a really long time since I was a classic witch, and those costumes are findable and comfortable... maybe I'll do that! (Hooray! I blogged myself into an idea, that's a first!)
Alright, I'm going to stop rambling about Halloween costumes now and leave you with some pictures, cause those are always fun :)

Jack-o-lantern shirt

Looking dark and rainy, my fav!

Vampire/Witch costume

Corn Chili with dumplings, my favorite fall recipe!

Kids Ghostbuster Costume

Computer Wallpaper

TMNT, see...

Ru's first Halloween

Our first family Halloween

Party decor

Zombie and Shawn of the Dead

Zombie Attack!!

Yay for inflatables!

Keira the bumblebee, me and Rupert as Frankenstein's Monster

More Inflatables!

I want to do this really bad

Favorite horror movie ever.


3 comments:

  1. ok, firstly...I LOOOOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!!! I always dress as a (non-sexy) witch for the nights when the kids trick-or-treat and then spice it up a bit if we go a party ( but never the stupid slutty costumes). I think Little O is going to be a hobbo since he still doesn't quite get the idea.

    Do you remember when you were the egg when you were preggers? BEST COSTUME EVER!!!!! You guys should go as the Incredibles this year or as Louis, Peter, and Stewie. hahahahahaha!

    I was thinking of having a carved pumpkin with my new last name initial (H) by the sign in book thingy? good idea or lame?

    You make a killer green haired zombie and should rock that more often.

    oh, you could be Lady Gaga or the princess from Mario?

    Ah! this post has me so excited I have to go put a pumpkin or a skull on something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO!! Think the pumpkin thing would be a FABULOUS idea!! (*sigh, fall...)
    Since Rupert is going as a ghostbuster I thought maybe Chris could too and then I could be Jeneane :) Still need to find something else to wear when I'm not with them though...
    Gaga! Maybe next year, that requires more prep (mostly weight loss, hehehe)
    Toddler hobos are the cutest thing in the world, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and thanks for the deviled egg comment, I loved that costume :)

    P.S. I still don't have authorization to leave comments on my own blog, so I am doing it this way, ugh.

    ReplyDelete