Wednesday, July 27, 2011

NPR

In my swanky new office, I only get one radio station... NPR.
Thank god, I think I might have died if it were Adult Contemporary or Republican Talk Radio.
I do listen to my ipod (when I remember to bring it in from the car) but most of it is background noise because I am so focused on my work.

I LOVE classical music and opera, so I get to hear plenty of both.
BUT I also get to hear sound bites of what's happening in the world.
Whether it's the debt crisis and what's happening on Capitol Hill, a book recommendation that sounds incredible: Bliss, Remembered by Frank DeFord (a love story set at the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany), poetry, random information on composers birth and death anniversaries, etc.

Today I learned something else spectacular...
The song "All By Myself", as famously sung by Bridget Jones :), is sampled from Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2!
For real!

There I was, sitting all alone in my office, listening to NPR and working on some time cards when all of a sudden my brain activity spikes and I think, I KNOW THAT SONG!
Then I think, No, Wait, That's NPR.

Then a few minutes later it comes back to the hook and I hear in my head, ALL BY MYSELF, DON'T WANT TO BE ALL BY MYSELF ANYMOOOOOOORE... hmmm...
Holy shit!
I'm not crazy!
That's the radio, that's the Rachmaninoff piece.
NEAT-O!

So there's your random piece of information for the day.
Hope you enjoyed it.
Support your local public radio station!

1 comment: