Friday, July 8, 2011

First Day Jitters

First and foremost, YAY!!!!
I finally have a log-in again!!
I lost my password when I got laid off and Blogger didn't have enough information on file to know that I am me. Ugh.

Anyway, it's been a CRAZY couple of weeks.

Short and sweet(ish): I got laid off about 3 weeks ago. Just a regular economic based lay off, I didn't get fired for being an idiot or anything. They were super super super nice about it, gave me severance pay and wrote letters of recommendation, my boss even cried. You seriously can't ask for a better group of people. 
I'm not mad, they didn't want to lay me off but they had to, can't blame them for that.
As my dad would say, business is business.

So I got to experience what being a stay at home mom of a 3.5 year old is like... WOW.
I LOVE RUPERT but holy cow, he's active. I guess it's total payback as that's how my Grandma Tonagel used to describe me. I got a chance to really really get to know Rupert again and I found that he definitely has his father's brain (photographic memory much??) and my attitude. That's a tough combo, he's super smart and  has massive attitude to boot... (sigh)
Needless to say, I am tired. Fried. Shot. Brain Dead :)

While not working I also got to spend some quality time with Grandma Tonagel and my bff Adrienne!
That's super exciting because I got to help GG schedule doctor appointments, run errands and do her physical therapy. (It's seriously the little things) With Adrienne, she has a 12 week old little girl named Averielle and we got to spend more time together then we had since middle school. It was simply amazing.

Today was my first day back at work.
I got a job with Kelly Services (temp/contract company) working at Dow Chemical (previously Rohm & Haas). It's fantastic!! 
Well, my first day was fantastic but I have high hopes!
First of all, the pay is like Time And A Half of my old job, plus I get 40 hours a week and previously only worked between 32.50-36.00... so yeah, monetarily this is CRUNK!!!
Second, I have my own office. Like for real grown up style office. Wwwweeeeeiiiiirrrrddddd. But I like it!!


She's a beauty huh?!?!?!?
I mean seriously... I have 2 windows that look out onto this greenery, my own printer, a desktop computer plus a laptop, my own extension... it's nifty. I even brought in some pictures and put them in my windowsill so I can look at my boys and family.
Next week I have this super cool painting of the Knoxville skyline that I am going to hang :)

So yeah, the money's grand, the office is swank, the people are really nice and it's fricking Dow! Like DOW! 
Ok, I have realized recently, due to conversations about my new job, that not everyone knows that Dow is massively huge, great company. (I only know bc of my Dad, he works with them) But if you are interested, here's a link to their website: http://www.dow.com/

I am feeling super super lucky right now.
I got laid off from an awesome company, which sucked, but then got a job with an amazing company. The kind of company that you retire from. 
I got to spend quality time with Rupert.
Chris and I are doing fantastic.
Seriously, life is good.

Oh, did I mention that I got another dog???


He's a 6 month old full blooded Chihuahua. 
We named him Dexter.
He's the cutest little thing ever and he LOVES me.
I blame Adrienne.
She had to go and have this beautiful little baby, which made my ovaries ache, but HELL TO THE NO (not right now), so I got a dog.
I never ever thought I'd be the person who's dog wears clothes, he doesn't always... just when he's cold, but he's cold ALOT. 
It was either that polo shirt or a mesh tank top... figured the shirt was warmer.

So yes, that's my life right now.
Sweet!



1 comment:

  1. I commented on this twice and it didn't take either time. Blogger has been very buggy lately.

    Anyway, I agree that watching kids is exhausting. I work part-time, mostly from home, but for a few weeks I had to go in to work every day. We were super busy the entire time, but I still think watching my toddler is more exhausting for me. I would rather watch her, of course, but I still find it more tiring.

    ReplyDelete