Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gay Judgements

I read an article on msnbc today that me me aghast.
"Court mulls if gay judge can rule on gay marriage" is the headline. What kind of shit is that?
Don't straight judges rule on issues regarding straight marriages?

Here's the article:


My favorite part is where they say "The lawyers insisted that Walker, who was chief judge of the Northern District of California at the time, should have recused himself or disclosed his relationship because he and his partner stood to personally benefit from the verdict."
WTF? Really?
Who would not benefit from equality for all citizens?
I'm confused...
So only if you're gay can you benefit from the legalization of gay marriage?
I wouldn't benefit if my two best friends could get married and be recognized legally as spouses? I sure believe I would and would my children.

By letting one more characteristic of the human existence differentiate people in our society we are allowing more and more room for discrimination.
If gay marriage were legal then they wouldn't/ couldn't be looked up as unequal citizens.

I find the entire thing sickening.



I cannot get over the fact that it is legal to marry your first cousin in more states than it is legal to have a gay marriage! Really people? Really??
Any straight couple, no matter what the circumstances, can walk into any courthouse in the country and get hitched.
They can also walk out and 10 minutes later get a divorce or an annulment.
The rate of divorce in the US is close to 50%, last I heard, and we are going to preach about "the sanctity of marriage"?!?!?!?

Whose business is it who I love?
If you have 2 consenting adults what's wrong???
Nothing!

And if your problem comes from a religious perspective then I have news for you buddy...
This country fought long and hard and STILL DOES for religious FREEDOM!
Not just so you can get on your biblical soap box and talk about your higher power's rules and regulations.
Faith is just that, FAITH. There is no scientific proof of existence for any celestial being.
(I'm not saying there isn't one or that you're wrong to believe in one, just work with me)
BUT there is PROOF, like the scientific, recognized in all nations kind, that states that homosexuals are human beings without any kind of faulty DNA, no learning disorder, no abnormal functions, just regular people like you and me.
Love is love.

Would you want to deny your child to marry their lifelong love?
Gay or straight?

You want your children to grow up happy and healthy.
I know I do.
And that's always the phrase that parents use, whether its about their children's future or the expected sex of the child... happy and healthy.



A person cannot lead a happy life without being recognized as an equal citizen.
Think back to when the Jim Crow laws were in place...
I don't recall any stories of black people feeling EQUAL to white people.
Anything I have ever read talks about how it seemed the whites were so much superior just because of the color of their skin.

So for me, I can't understand how people who feel that all humans no matter their race, religion or creed are equal would deny rights based upon a person's sexuality...
I would not feel comfortable judging someone solely on their race, religion, political persuasion or their income level. Would you?
That's not how I was raised and everyone was taught the golden rule.
Sexuality is the same thing.
Not a place for judgement.
It's a inherent as your eye color.

Another little side note about the quote from the article, would the judge need to recuse himself or have had to disclose himself about whether or not he hold religious beliefs that may or may not influence his opinion on the matter. Basically you could say that if a judge had turned it down and they happen to go to church, that their religion is the reason for the denial. But would you?
Would you feel comfortable saying that the entire reason someone voted on something is simply because they attend church? Then why say that about their sexual persuasion.
I will say that he is probably more inclined to the liberal persuasion about the matter BUT there are plenty of homosexuals who don't want to get married and that's their choice as well.
Just as it was my choice to marry my husband.

So yeah, I can't understand thinking that because someone is different then you that they are bad.
I know that that's not the common feeling, hello Hitler!, but it's my rationale.

I fight loudly and proudly for equal rights because I believe it is not only an injustice to those individuals but to the nation and its citizens as a whole.

Please do your part, vote, send a letter to your congressman.
Get your voice heard.

Equal Rights For All!








No comments:

Post a Comment