Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer 2012

It's half-way through July and I feel like I haven't really enjoyed summer yet.
I could start bitching about the ungodly temperatures we've been experiencing and possibly rant about global warming, etc but I won't.
I think the main reason I haven't enjoyed summer yet is because I haven't done a bunch of summery things.
To me summer is swinging at the park, lots of swimming, barbecues, vacations, days of laziness, late nights with bonfires, and a lot of nothing to do.

We have been on vacation this year and I spend most every Saturday lazing on the couch until Rupert can't stand it anymore but something is still lacking!
I think I may need to take a three day weekend and live at the lake to get the full feel for summer! (Watch out Julie, this means you!!)

Maybe it's just the result of being at this point in my life. Rupert's too big to get away with some things and too small to get away with others. He's a full blown maniac 99% of the time, requiring constant attention or he'll run to China (so my kid!) and so I need to figure out new ways to have fun and really enjoy the hotter months!
Somewhere in my head summer still boils down to lots of beer drinking and partying with friends, which is not always conducive to raising a little boy :P

Rupert on the other hand, has been having a blast this summer. His daycare does themes every week about things they are going to learn and they incorporate seasons, holidays, etc. So thus far he has spent every Tuesday having water day, has learned about ocean life, outer space, and has had a luau. He adores swimming now that he has a vest that he feels safe in and has even started jumping off of the diving board. Dare devil!

One thing that has made this summer feel like a childhood summer is that a lot has changed.
Remember when you'd go back to school and it was always awkward for the first few days because it was like everyone was strangers?
That's how my life has been recently.
I've been developing new friendships and rekindling really old ones. There's something about that feeling of starting something new that makes me feel invigorated and youthful!

Also, tomorrow we will be welcoming my first nephew into the world! My sister is scheduled to be induced tomorrow morning and I think I may be as excited as she is! I've been knitting up a storm and trying not to spend an arm and a leg on baby boy stuff. This child is going to be beyond spoiled and I can't wait to have a hand in it! Plus, in a few years Rupert will have a male playmate in the family :)

I will blog about him and post lots of pictures later this week or next week, promise!


Here are some of the more fun things I have done this summer:

Mom and I drinking wine on the beach at night

Rupert and I swimming on Mother's Day


I got to go to Indiana and see my bff Melissa for Memorial Day Weekend



Swimming with E and the kids at the lake

Flinking in a friend's pool

Elizabeth gigantic prego


Rupert on the slip and slide at Madilyn's birthday party


Heather and I have a girls night in Gatlinburg

 

No comments:

Post a Comment