Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Guinness Shepherd's Pie

First, let me tell you, this is NOT my recipe!
I 100% snagged it from TheHungryHouseWife via Pinterest (god I love that place!)
It was a huge success!

My only stinking snafu for the entire process was trying to only buy 2 bottles of Guinness, it's impossible!
I'm not a big fan of drinking it because it's so filling that it is similar to eating an entire loaf of bread but I adore the flavor and like to cook with it...
Anyway, for future reference Food City sells 4 packs not just 6 packs!

Our teeny tiny little kitchen may have been a bit overwhelmed last night and I may not have followed the recipe exactly, not wanting to dirty any more dishes than I had to, but it was worth it!




Brown 1.5 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)






Boiling 3 pounds of potatoes (I used russet)



Here's where I started to defer...
Add 1 bottle Guinness to drained meat
I let it cook down (as directed)
but then I added the onion and the vegetables to the same pot instead of dirtying another



Make 2 brown gravy packets as directed using half water and half beer
Cook until thickened and add to meat/vegetable mixture



Mashed potatoes with 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste




Layer the vegetables, then meat (or in my case, just the one) on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish
Spoon potatoes over mixture and top with 2 cups shredded cheddar
Bake at 350 until cheese it bubbly

Voila! Delicious dinner that everyone loved!








2 comments:

  1. You sound like me. The less dishes, the better. Sounds delish! I have some taters that need used. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Now I need to make some. :)

    ReplyDelete