Thursday, October 20, 2011

Meeting the Mullens

This past weekend was an amazingly long, fun, tiring, eventful few days.
We left Thursday afternoon and drove to Nashville and spent the night with Chris's parents.
We had dinner and did some socializing and even got to see Brian is in police uniform :)

Friday afternoon we left for Vincennes. It was a crazy couple of hours.
We thought we would be getting to the hotel with time to spare, but no, oh no... We lost an hour and didn't know it. Then when I was getting dressed for the rehearsal, my pantyhose ripped and my dress was a little snug (it shrunk, that's what I'm going with). So I finally arrive at the historic bank, thank you GPS, only 15 minutes late. Not bad! Bad for me, but generally not bad.


Me, excited to be back in the Motherland!

Chris, he hates straight roads.

My goofy little booger

Jesus! in Indiana

Corn! I LOVE corn!


I got to see Kate and D practicing for the wedding and ironing out all of the last minute details.
It was beautiful and inspiring.
I think watching another couple, obviously in love, reminds you of why you married your spouse and how happy you were on your wedding day.


Kate reading over the schedule

Practicing prayers and vows



After the rehearsal we headed to the parish for the rehearsal dinner and Rupert got to meet Oliver!
Oliver is the spitting image of his biological father and gave me total flashbacks to my childhood when I knew him and he was only a few years older! :)


Rupert on the parish's playground

Oliver

Oliver and Rupert watching cartoons

Oliver is waving, not hitting :)


After the dinner and socializing with lots of new and super fun and friendly folks, the drinking commenced.
We went back to the infamous 806 Main Street and got our drink on.
It was so much fun to meet the Mullen family that I had read and heard about for years!
Kate and I had met once before, like 4 years ago or more, and had remained friends since but I had never had the opportunity to meet her family and friends that I hear so much about via her blog (www.pinkpancakeskate.blogspot.com) and facebook.

The weekend also proved to change my opinion on Vincennes, Indiana. I had only been there once before and had seen very little of the town away from the interstate and was not impressed. Honestly, it looked like a little podunk dump. Boy has my mind changed! I am now in LOVE with that little cute town! They have a fabulous downtown area, complete with cute coffee shop (Pea-fections), a fun farmers market, gourmet popcorn stores, vintage stuff and art galleries. (Sigh) It's really a cool place.


Across from the farmers market

Mural on Main Street (I think)

Wedding Pumpkins



Saturday was wedding day and after breakfast Chris, Rupert and I headed out to do a little exploring of our own. First stop, coffee, I had an Irish Cream Latte with an extra shot that was pretty close to perfection. Not too sweet, just right. Then we tooled around the farmers market and I bought two necklaces, a crochet frog hat for Rupert and some baked goods. Then Rupert got to paint a pumpkin at this cute little table they had set up for the kiddos. He painted a few squiggles and mommy helped add some glitter paint and the proprietor added the googly eyes. So cute!

After that it was time to track down the bride and get to work!
I had driven up not only to see the wedding but also for the honor of being the make-up "artist".
I found Kate at her parents' art gallery, where the reception was to be held, and we got to work preparing the food for that evening. Kate had already prepared the baked goods and all that was left to do was heat, chop, mix, etc. With all of the nerves in the air and the supreme conversation happening in the kitchen, we decided to crack open the bottle of wine that I brought. It went fast. So we cracked open another bottle of wine (for the reception mind you) and finished that. Oops. Time for a booze run!

The wedding went off beautifully and the reception was a blast!
The bride was STUNNING in both of her gowns (long story) and her make up looked grand (if I do say so myself!!!) There was so much love at the entire event between the couple, their families and their friends. It was heartwarming.

Chris and I decided to head to Kentucky after the reception and spend the night with my Grandma and do some visiting before heading home. It had been a long day and I may have a had a bit to drink, so Chris did the driving and Rupert and I did the sleeping :)

Sunday we got to spend the morning catching up with Grandma, Papa John and Aunt Judy. Rupert had a blast riding the golf cart back and forth between the house and the barn and playing with the dogs. He just LOVES it there!

Then it was back in the car for another 5 hours home, ugh.

No wonder I got sick huh??
I caught a mild stomach bug and ended up missing work Monday and Tuesday.

Oh well, totally worth it!

I do believe a made a few new friends for life and it was certainly a weekend that I will remember forever!


Rupert and his eyeball sucker


No comments:

Post a Comment